The Girl Scout Mission

Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.

At Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma, we are part of a stellar Girl Scout staff. Why do we do what we do? Read on ... these moments fuel the mission for all of us.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Zandra and the United Way Video


Engaging, gregarious and full of life, Zandra charms everyone she speaks to during a video shoot for Tulsa Area United Way.

She spoke about what being a Girl Scout means to her. Born with a rare medical condition, Zandra has to overcome many challenges that the rest of the world never thinks about. She was born without ribs. While you would think that would keep most people from enjoying life, Zandra has not let it slow her down one bit. In fact, she is one of our top cookie sellers! Zandra admits it is her favorite time of the year, and she thoroughly enjoys selling cookies.

But above and beyond the thrill of the sale, she talks about how Girl Scouts is her chance to be around other girls and do all the exciting things Girl Scouts do. Her troop meets weekly (led by her physical therapist) and the three nurses that provide constant care also provide "taxi service" and make sure Zandra is part of everything the troop does.

Zandra's story is heartwarming and challenging, which warms my heart in and of itself. But something surprising melted my heart while we stood in Woodward Park waiting for the shoot to begin.

She looked up at me, eyes sparkling, "How is your summer going?" She asked and she really wanted to know. Her pure curiosity broke through the world of busy schedules, no-time-for-others lifestyles, and other adult and work pressures. I stopped and realized that I couldn't recall anyone asking me that question, (and I don't know that I had asked anyone else, either). "Why thank you for asking," I said, "I don't know that anyone has asked me yet!" I can't remember what I mumbled initially, but I tried to tell her what I still feel at this moment ... "My summer is definitely brighter after meeting you!"
Posted by Picasa

No comments: